The Concept Chef (CC) plays a dual role as both an innovator of recipes, systems and kitchen procedures and also as a resource to monitor results, enforce compliance and develop the culinary teams.
The CC reports to a Founding Partner to continually design recipes that both innovative and fit with the strategic plan. It is expected that the CC will create recipes that can be consistently executed at the restaurant level based on a variety of skill levels.
The CC is expected to partner with each Regional Operations Manager to develop and execute action plans that deliver specific results regarding culinary excellence and cost measures within their assigned region.
The Concept Chef audits and inspects the kitchens to ensure adherence to Brand standards then provides feedback to the ROM and coaches and develops General Managers and Chefs to improve culinary and leadership performance.
The CC is accountable for collaborating with the ROMs, GMs and Chefs to achieve key performance indicators (KPI) as outlined in the annual Strategic Plan as well as all responsibilities outlined within this job description. The ability to collaborate with ROMs, GMs and Chefs is critical to success.
The CC is accountable for up to 3 different concepts. Restaurant locations and the size of a region are subject to change at the company’s discretion.
- Geographic – multi unit across large territory – may require travel.
- Ability to work with a variety of personality types.
- Must be able to identify talent and assist leaders in developing strong leadership skills.
- Building strong and cohesive relationships with Regional Operations Managers, General Managers, Chefs and other Concept Chefs.
- Must stay current on all Brand standards and changes.
- Must stay current on all Health & Safety and Safe Food Handling legislation.
- Must clearly understand menu specifications and standardized recipe creation.
- Must be able to conduct detailed visits routinely throughout the year.
- Gain adoption and sustainability of new systems and tools across Brand.
- Must be able to facilitate training, workshops and presentations.
- Understand financial reports such as Cost of Sales, Labour reports and other kitchen reports.
Standard Working Conditions
- A minimum of eighty percent (80%) of time will be spent in a restaurant environment.
- The CC is expected to remain proficient at all culinary stations.
- While performing the duties of this job, the CC is primarily required to walk, observe, analyze, coach, develop and communicate with numerous General Managers and Chefs.
- Travel extensively
Indicators of Success
- Best-in-Class People Responsibilities:
- Coach and develop Chefs to successfully execute on standardized recipes, kitchen systems and procedures and cost controls.
- Provide on-going developmental feedback intended to increase leadership capability within the restaurants plus consult with General Managers for two, semi-annual performance evaluations on each Chef.
- Ensure the region has a pipeline of trained, high potential culinary talent available to backfill Chef and Assistant Chef positions as needed.
- Ensure all General Managers and Chefs in the region complete the entire kitchen training program as scheduled and measure their competence at the critical checkpoints to flag potential gaps/issues.
- Communicate and share brand standards and all available resources that assist the restaurants to remedy gaps in people performance.
- Conduct new menu rollouts to ensure ROMs, GMs and Chefs are proficient in executing changes to standardized recipes, systems and procedures.
- Consult with ROMs and GMs with the selection of restaurant Chefs.
- Responsible Growth Responsibilities:
- Consult with ROMs to establish clear culinary goals and targets, build action plans and determine root cause of inefficiencies.
- Identify opportunities, culinary improvements and best practices that improve restaurant profitability without sacrificing food quality.
- Conduct quarterly business updates with the General Managers and Chefs in the region and provide insights that align with the Strategic Plan.
- Ensure all restaurants are complying with employment standards, human rights, health and safety, pest control, alcohol handling and WHMIS within the region.
- Conduct valuable, purpose driven restaurant visits that align with and contribute to the ROM’s action plans.
- Observe and audit the kitchen operation based on the key areas of focus: Safe Food Handling, Standardized Recipes, Cost Control, Kitchen Procedures, Health & Safety, Security, and Employee Relations.
- Prepare for visits by consulting with the ROM. Leverage knowledge from the restaurants’ financial performance, results from previous restaurant visits, action plan progress, past food safety results. Flag any ongoing actions that have not been addressed.
- Flag key issues raised during visits and resolve in a timely manner, leveraging key resources where required. Report on trends during weekly team meetings, one on one discussion’s to ensure root cause is resolved.
- Lead culinary planning during new restaurant openings and ensure new restaurants reach their business goals.
- Visit restaurants on the frequency required to achieve goals and objectives.
- Targeted Social Media Responsibilities:
- Provide relevant and timely food news that can be shared in a way that drives additional traffic.
- Communicate and influence store level buy-in of recipes, food quality and innovative menu items.
- Demonstration as a high potential and high performing Chef
- Post-secondary education in food preparation is an asset
- Experience in restaurant operations considered an asset.
- Demonstrated communication skills.
- Demonstrated conflict management skills.
- Demonstrated effective influencing skills.
- Coach and develop culinary teams.
- Knowledge of Health & Safety, Safe Food Handling and Back of House systems and procedures.
- Knowledge of culinary training systems and tools within the Brand that support culinary excellence.
- Computer Skills: Silverware, Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrate influencing and negotiating skills to create buy-in.
- Mitigate conflict within relationships.
- Possess strong communication skills, written and verbal.
- Thorough organizing and planning skills
- Prioritize self and others to ensure action plans are achieved.
- Detail oriented with a high degree of accuracy.
- Strong ability to influence, build relationships and have difficult conversations.
- Demonstrate root cause analysis.
- Navigate change easily and assist others in change management.
- Ability to create and write standardized recipes