Summary of Position:
Learn and remain familiar with menu items and assume responsibility for all food rotation and proper timing of foods. Coordinate placing of food on the steam and cold table with staff; work closely with the Chef and Sous Chef to ensure that all items needed are in stock for the menu. Alert,friendly and able to assist guests with courtesy and promptness. Familiar with a variety of the culinary field concepts and procedures. Rely on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Perform a variety of complicated tasks. Coordinate with the chef for food preparation, presentation and proper service procedures.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Inspect equipment before and after use, making sure they are clean and in proper working order.
- Maintain cleanliness of workstation, kitchen area, and walk-in cooler and freezer.
- Be conscious of proper storage of all food products and especially aware of hot and cold meats, seafood and other high protein items.
- Review prep list, check daily pars and maintain pars as necessary. Order stock for their specific list, ensure all food items are dated and up to company’s standards.
- Oversee inventory of the stations. Control quality of food to avoid waste and ensure proper rotation and utilization.
- Train employees to keep up with company standards and new changes.
- Check all food for proper consistency, temperatures and flavours.
- Monitor in and out times of staff.
- Coordinate workflow to ensure a smooth running operation.
- Make sure kitchen is clean and kept neat according to health department standards; also supervise dishwashers and other cooks in their respective duties.
- Check food orders going out of the kitchen and the food being prepared.
- Review all kitchen staff necessary for any special parties or orders, also follow up on
- Monitor employee’s performance and provide feedback to Chef or Sous Chef when necessary.
- Communicate with Chef on all problems, complaints and discrepancies.
- Assist in development and execution of projects, checklists and ongoing improvements in the kitchen.
- Be 21 years of age.
- Be able to communicate and understand the predominant language(s) of the restaurant’s trading area.
- Have knowledge of service and food and beverage.
- Possess excellent basic math skills.
- Be able to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 5 hours).
- Be able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 50 pounds.