The Sous Chef is accountable for the day-to-day back of house operation and its ability to execute the Strategic Plan. It is critical that the Sous Chef maintain the highest food quality standards on behalf of the entire team and be the driving force behind flawless execution and precise adherence to policy and procedure.
The Sous Chef is critical to FABs vision, “to be our neighbour’s first choice”, by creating consistent and cravable food that drives both trial and repeat business.
- Ability to work with a variety of personality types.
- Must be able to identify talent and assist leaders in developing strong leadership skills.
- Building strong and cohesive relationships with Chef, Managers and hourly employees.
- Must stay current on all Brand standards and changes.
- Must clearly understand menu specifications.
- Must be able to facilitate training, workshops and presentations.
- Understand financial reports such as P&L, Income Statements, annual budgets and other sales reports.
- Comply with all federal, provincial and municipal laws
- Host special events outside the scope of regular business operations
Standard Working Conditions
- Time will be spent in a restaurant environment with nearly 80% of time spent in the kitchen.
- Required to stand for long periods of time.
- Temperatures can fluctuate because of the cooking equipment.
- Periods of high stress
Indicators of Success
- Best-in-Class People Responsibilities:
- Coach and develop hourly employees to successfully execute on Brand standards, the annual Strategic Plan and their personal development plans.
- Provide on-going developmental feedback intended to increase hourly employees skills and self-directed leadership
- Submit two, semi-annual performance evaluations on each hourly employee.
- Ensure the restaurant has a pipeline of trained, high potential talent available to backfill hourly employee positions as needed. Adhere to approved selection process by conducting interviews as outlined.
- Ensure all hourly employees complete the entire training program as scheduled and measure their competence at the critical checkpoints to flag potential gaps/issues.
- Terminate under-performing hourly employees using the approved termination process.
- Communicate and share brand standards and all available resources that assist the hourly employees remedy gaps in their performance.
- Responsible Growth Responsibilities:
- Establish clear business goals, financial targets, action plans and measurements of success with the hourly employees. Update as required ensuring alignment with the Strategic Plan.
- Identify opportunities, operational improvements and best practices that improve restaurant profitability without sacrificing the guest experience.
- Attend and participate in weekly business updates with the leadership team and course correct to align with the Strategic Plan.
- Ensure the restaurant is complying with employment standards, human rights, health and safety, pest control, alcohol handling and WHMIS.
- Observe and audit the restaurant operation based on the key areas of focus: Front of the House, Back of the House, Safety, Security, Employee Relations and Food Safety.
- Investigate key issues raised by the Chef and resolve in a timely manner, leveraging key resources where required. Report on trends during weekly team meetings, one on one discussion’s to ensure root cause is resolved.
- Design and implement successful promotional events
- Collaborate with the Chef to accommodate and successfully host special event and large group reservations
- Targeted Social Media Responsibilities:
- Communicate and influence hourly employee buy-in of restaurant ready marketing plans and programs; initiate where required, local store marketing.
- Strengthen the restaurant’s visibility and Brand identity through relevant social media feeds and updates
- Promote the use of Trip Advisor as the primary method of guest on-line feedback
- Create relevant news and build followers using Facebook
- Maintain a high personal level of visibility within the community and local BIA.
- Demonstration as a high potential hourly employee or previous Sous Chef / Assistant Kitchen Manager experience
- Demonstrated communication skills.
- Demonstrated conflict management skills.
- Demonstrated effective influencing skills.
- Coach and develop restaurant leadership teams.
- Knowledge of standards for Front of House, Back of House and Food Safety.
- Knowledge of training systems and tools within the Brand that support operational excellence.
- Computer Skills: Silverware, Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrate influencing and negotiating skills to create buy-in.
- Mitigate conflict within relationships.
- Possess strong communication skills, written and verbal.
- Understand the guest experience and the Strategic Plan and tactics that drive it.
- Thorough organizing and planning skills
- Prioritize self and others to ensure action plans are achieved.
- Detail oriented with a high degree of accuracy.
- Strong ability to influence, build relationships and have difficult conversations.
- Navigate chage easily and assist others in change management.