The General Manager is accountable for the entire operation of the restaurant and its ability to execute the Strategic Plan.
The General Manager is critical to FABs vision, “to be our neighbour’s first choice”, by developing its leadership team to leverage best-in-class people, execute on a strategic financial plan and target social marketing.
The General Manager consults with the restaurant Chef to ensure the guests benefit from their combined experience and
- Ability to work with a variety of personality types.
- Must be able to identify talent and assist leaders in developing strong leadership skills.
- Building strong and cohesive relationships with Managers, Chef, Sous Chefs and ROMs.
- Must stay current on all Brand standards and changes.
- Must clearly understand menu specifications.
- Must be able to facilitate training, workshops and presentations.
- Understand financial reports such as P&L, Income Statements, annual budgets and other sales reports.
- Comply with all federal, provincial and municipal laws
- Host special events outside the scope of regular business operations
Standard Working Conditions
- Time will be spent in a restaurant environment.
- Required to stand for long periods of time.
- Temperatures can fluctuate because of the cooking equipment.
- Periods of high stress
Indicators of Success
- Best-in-Class People Responsibilities:
- Coach and develop Managers and Chef to successfully execute on Brand standards, the annual Strategic Plan and their personal development plans.
- Provide on-going developmental feedback intended to increase leadership capabilities
- Submit two, semi-annual performance evaluations on each Manager and Chef.
- Ensure the restaurant has a pipeline of trained, high potential talent available to backfill Manager positions as needed. Adhere to approved selection process by conducting interviews as outlined.
- Ensure all Managers and Chef complete the entire training program as scheduled and measure their competence at the critical checkpoints to flag potential gaps/issues.
- Terminate under-performing Managers or Chef using the approved termination process.
- Communicate and share brand standards and all available resources that assist the Managers and Chef remedy gaps in people performance.
- Responsible Growth Responsibilities:
- Establish clear business goals, financial targets, action plans and measurements of success with each Manager and Chef. Update as required ensuring alignment with the Strategic Plan.
- Identify opportunities, operational improvements and best practices that improve restaurant profitability without sacrificing the guest experience.
- Conduct weekly business updates with the leadership team and course correct to align with the Strategic Plan.
- Ensure the restaurant is complying with employment standards, human rights, health and safety, pest control, alcohol handling and WHMIS.
- Observe and audit the restaurant operation based on the key areas of focus: Front of the House, Heart of the House, Safety, Security, Employee Relations and Food Safety.
- Prepare for ROM visits by completing assigned pre-work. Leverage knowledge from the restaurants’ financial performance, results from previous restaurant visits, action plan progress, past food safety results. Flag any ongoing actions that have not been addressed.
- Investigate key issues raised during ROM visits and resolve in a timely manner, leveraging key resources where required. Report on trends during weekly team meetings, one on one discussion’s to ensure root cause is resolved.
- Design and implement successful promotional events
- Collaborate with the Senior Event Planner to accommodate and successfully host special event and large group reservations
- Targeted Social Media Responsibilities:
- Communicate and influence store level buy-in of restaurant ready marketing plans and programs; initiate where required, local store marketing.
- Strengthen the restaurant’s visibility and Brand identity through relevant social media feeds and updates
- Promote the use of Trip Advisor as the primary method of guest on-line feedback
- Create relevant news and build followers using Facebook
- Maintain a high personal level of visibility within the community and local BIA.
- Demonstration as a high potential Manager or previous General Manager experience
- Demonstrated communication skills.
- Demonstrated conflict management skills.
- Demonstrated effective influencing skills.
- Coach and develop restaurant leadership teams.
- Knowledge of standards for Front of House, Back of House and Food Safety.
- Knowledge of training systems and tools within the Brand that support operational excellence.
- Computer Skills: Silverware, Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrate influencing and negotiating skills to create buy-in.
- Mitigate conflict within relationships.
- Possess strong communication skills, written and verbal.
- Understand the guest experience and the Strategic Plan and tactics that drive it.
- Thorough organizing and planning skills
- Prioritize self and others to ensure action plans are achieved.
- Detail oriented with a high degree of accuracy.
- Strong ability to influence, build relationships and have difficult conversations.
- Demonstrate root cause analysis.
- Navigate change easily and assist others in change management.